Forged Eye Bolt Capacity and Strength Calculator has been developed to show rated load capacities, proof load and breaking strength of a selected forged threaded eye bolt.
The Calculator uses the load charts of forged eye bolts which are
given in the ASME B18.15 and ASTM A 489 - 04 standards.
Some important notes from the ASME B18.15:
- Capacities are for carbon steel ASTM A 489 eye bolts, at temperatures between 30°F (-1°C) and 275°F (135°C).
- Loads must always be applied to eye bolts in the plane of the eye, not at an angle.
- Plain eyebolts must be engaged to within one-half turn from the eye end of the threads to
rated capacities given by the calculator.
- Shoulder eye bolts should bear firmly
against the mating part; otherwise the rated capacity
must be reduced to ones given for plain eye bolts
- To attain the rated capacities given by the calculator,
minimum thread shank length of engagement must be as
-- Steel - 1 thread diameter,
Cast iron, brass, bronze - 1.5 thread diameter,
Aluminum, magnesium, zinc, plastic - 2 thread diameters
- Tapped holes for plain pattern (straight shank)
eye bolts are threaded for the full length of eyebolt engagement.
Tapped holes for shoulder pattern eyebolts are
threaded for the full length with clearance for the unthreaded
portion of the eyebolt to allow shoulder seating.
- For through-hole applications, long length eye bolts with shoulder are advised, using a steel washer and nut with the required