Cotter Pins Dimensions Calculator was developed according to ASME B18.8.1 standard
to show dimensions of cotter pins (Inch).
The cotter pins are intended for use with
clevis pins and in pinned bolt and
nut assemblies or other type of free fitting pinned
assemblies in general applications.
Some important notes from the ASME standard:
- The preferred point type
shall be the extended prong - square cut or hammer
- The misalignment of prongs over entire length of
shank shall not stop pin from being inserted into the
- Materials: Low carbon steel. Pins may also be made from ASTM
A493, Types 302 (UNS S30200) and 304 (UNS
S30400), corrosion resistant steel; ASTM B134, Alloy
260 (UNS C26000), cartridge brass; Monel Alloy (UNS
- Each prong of the cotter pin shall be capable of withstanding being bent
back upon itself once, with no visible indication of fracture occurring at
the point of bend.
- Cotter pins are manufactured from approximately half-round wire
- Designation: Name, Nominal Size, Pin Length, Point Type, Material and Finish. Ex: Pin, Cotter, 1/8 x
1, Extended Prong Type, Steel, Zinc Plated